Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Let's start where they left off...

Being that South of the Painted Hall was the last song to be released by Mansun (it was a digital download as part of the Legacy – The Best Of release) I thought there was a nice symmetry in using it for my first proper contribution (and indeed title) to my Mansun Paul Draper website.

If I remember correctly the song was thought to be lost – and I’m not sure as to the completeness of it, whether is was a demo, the finished article or at some point in-between. I'm pretty sure there only exists an MP3 of it, hence its manner of release.

As to the track. It is very much a Kleptomania-era track, straight guitar, bass and drums with Paul singing some personal and to my mind introverted lyrics. I really like this track, as it shows the band to be so much more than the ordinary indie outfit they were sometimes portrayed as in the press. It's interesting musically - there is no real chorus - and lyrically - and of course it holds a special place as the last Mansun release. There is usually some point in every Mansun song that gets me and this song is no different. For me the last couple of lines of vocal tied in with the guitar melody (I’m assuming it is Chad laying down the chord inversions) really hits the spot. It is classic Mansun - and the reason why I'm really looking forward to Paul's new work.

One of the problems of it being a bonus digi-download coupled with the fact there would be no more Mansun after it means the lyrics were never published. I’ve looked online and never found any versions that I think are correct. So to kick the “content” off on this site here is my stab at the lyrics. Tell me where I've gone wrong.

Infinite moments of calm in our life - what a waste
Our defining moments fade away
It was easy to navigate the wind when everything was cold

Well I’m drunk when the truth's spurting out
And my truth is disguised as a joke
Like the one about the dying in books
When the looks are worth a thousand rumours

My voice can be disguised
But my face can't lie
There's no antidote to save you
When I’m drunk

My failure's lying down and falling down but not getting up
All our great achievements put to better use
Like the wise man mistaken but the fool he can not put me right

Well I’m drunk when the truth's spurting out
And my truth is disguised as a joke
Like the one about the dying in books
When the looks are worth a thousand rumours

Well my voice can be disguised

But my face can't lie
There's no antidote to save you
When I’m drunk

Yeah - my voice can be disguised

I'll break off all contact no signal so i hope i don't offend you

Oh - even in summer the days are like winter
So glad parks do not fear to abandon them
People they differ in life not in death,
So the higher you climb - the longer you fall

My voice can be disguised
But my face can't lie
There's no signal i can find

p.s. In a web-chat with Paul I asked him what the title of the song meant. Click here for the answer...